Disclaimer: This post contains graphic images. Reader discretion is advised.
Just a few months after a whale washed ashore in Indonesia after ingesting 6 kg of plastic, a young Cuvier beaked whale has been found dead in Philippines.
According to reports, this whale died from gastric shock after eating 40 kg of plastic bags. Marine biologists and volunteers from the D'Bone Collector Museum in Davao City, Mindanao posted the cause of death on their official Facebook page.
On the basis of their findings, 40 kilos of plastic bags, including 16 rice sacks, 4 banana plantation style bags and multiple shopping bags were discovered inside the whale's stomach. They also mentioned that this the highest amount of plastic they've ever found inside a whale.
Their post also urges the government to take strict action against people who treat the ocean like a dumpster. According to a 2017 Ocean Conservancy report, Philippines, China, Indonesia, Vietnam and Thailand make up for 60% of the world's plastic waste in the oceans.
Darrel Blatchley, President of the D'Bone Collector Museum said told CNN Philippines,
I was not prepared for the amount of plastic. It was so big, the plastic was beginning calcification.In the last 10 years we have recovered 61 whales and dolphins, of which 57 have died due to fishing nets, dynamite fishing, and plastic garbage. Four were pregnant. This cannot continue. The Philippines needs to change from the children up or nothing will be left
You can read the entire post here.
All images are sourced from the Facebook post.