In a bizarre and unfortunate accident, a patient’s fart during surgery reportedly led to a fire, leaving the patient with serious burn injuries in Japan, the Asahi Shimbun reported. 

The accident took place on April 15, when a fire broke out in Japan’s Tokyo Medical University Hospital in Shinjuku. 

The procedure involved applying a laser to parts of the patient’s uterus and a report by a committee to determine whether there had been flammable objects present inside the surgery chamber in the hospital blamed ‘intestinal gas’ (aka gas) for it. 

It said: 

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation [room], it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire.”

The committee states that no flammable object had otherwise been found, and that all the instruments and machines had been working fine. 

The patient’s present condition is unknown. 

Feature Image Source: Reuters