After an astounding performance in four states including clear leads in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand, an elated BJP president Amit Shah addressed media at BJP office in New Delhi around 4 pm.
He proudly declared that the BJP will form the government in UP, Goa, Manipur and Uttarakhand.
He also said that the stunning win is a strong reply by the people after rival parties’ bitter campaigning against Narendra Modi.
Here are the highlights from the press conference:
On BJP’s victory:
- I thank the people of UP, Uttar Pradesh, Goa & Manipur on the behalf of BJP. I also thank crores of people and workers across the country who boosted our confidence.
- BJP has almost won with 3/4th majority in both U’khand and UP and is the biggest victory a party has achieved since independence.
- Even our opponents should admit that Narendra Modi is the most loved leader after independence. Our win will end dynasty politics and casteism in national politics.
- The country’s poor and backward communities have put their faith in Modi because of his leadership.
- BJP’s win is proof that religion does not matter to UP voters. Move past Hindu-Muslim, a voter is a voter, politics of development should take place.
- We will make sure that we do justice to the faith that people have placed on us
- These elections will be successful in bringing UP on track of development
On BJP’s defeat in Punjab
- We accept the defeat in Punjab. PM Narendra Modi has already congratulated Captain Amarinder for victory. We will study the defeat in depth
On who will head the 4 states
- ‘PM Narendra Modi will be welcomed tomorrow by the BJP workers and the Chief ministerial candidates will be decided in the BJP parliamentary board meeting. Party will pick a face on the basis of performance
On Mayawati’s EVM charge
- I can understand what she is going through. I don’t want to comment on Mayawati’s comment on EVM machines.
On Demonetisation hurting PM’s popularity
The people are strongly behind Modi on his demonetisation move. Poor are strongly supporting the PM, not only in UP & U’khand but the entire country.
In a tweet earlier, Shah had credited Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s pro-poor policies for his party’s big win in Uttar Pradesh with over two-thirds majority.
The saffron party with its allies is projected to win over 300 seats out of 403 seats in UP, an unprecedented feat in its electoral history. In 1991, when it achieved its biggest victory, it had won 221 seats in the State.