It’s called the gentleman’s game but that doesn’t stop cricketers from taking a dig or two at their opponents. Termed in cricketing circles as ‘sledging’, it is a ploy used by players to weaken the opponent’s concentration by insulting or verbally intimidating them. Here are 21 classic instances of sledging from the world of cricket.
1. Evidently, Ravi Shastri had the gift of the gab even during his playing days.
2. Daryll Cullinan gets the better of Shane Warne.
3. Mark Waugh asked for this one from James Ormond.
4. You don’t mess with Viv Richards as Glamorgan paceman Greg Thomas painfully found out.
5. Glenn McGrath uses Dennis Lillee’s classic line on English skipper Michael Atherton.
6. English pacer Fred Trueman couldn’t resist taking a jab at his teammate…
7. Australians sledging was prevalent even during the times of Don Bradman…
8. English spinner Phil Tufnell takes out his frustration on the umpire after his appeal against Dean Jones is turned down.
9. Australian Ian Healy accuses Michael Atherton of cheating during England’s tour of Australia.
10. Eddo Brandes gets Glenn McGrath to shut the xxxx up.
11. But McGrath will never learn.
12. Parthiv Patel should know better than to mess with the great Steve Waugh.
13. Rod Marsh and Ian Botham.
14. Australian Merv Hughes was the king of sledging.
15. Nobody could mess with Hughes. Javed Miandad tried.
16. But there were some who gave it back to Hughes. Like English batsman Robin Smith.
17. The Aussies figure out a way to get the Sri Lankan skipper out.
18. Steve Waugh shows why he was appointed captain of the best sledgers in world cricket.
19. Jamie Siddons tried to mess with Steve Waugh. And failed.
20. Merv Hughes was so brave he got the better of Viv Richards too.
21. Being Austrlian, I guess Lillee couldn’t resist messing with the English skipper.
Know of more sledging instances? Let us know in the comments section.
Top picks for you
SportsAaliyah Jainabout 7 hours ago | 2 min read