Looks like WhatsApp is nowhere close to becoming too old for the game. With a whole array of features that they keep revamping, they probably don’t need to introduce new features but that doesn’t stop them, does it?
Because brace yourself for the new feature that is being doled out: live location sharing for when your girlfriend is suspecting you to be cheating on her and asks you to share your location.
Just kidding. Here’s how it’s going to work.
1. The feature is designed for short-term use. Unlike the one-time “Share Location” feature, with this feature, you’ll be able to share your location with a group or in a private chat to let people know where you are while you’re on the go so they know how far you have reached.
2. The live location sharing will update in real time, even after you minimise the WhatsApp window.
3. You will have full control over who you share the location with and for how long – 15 minutes, 1 hour or 8 hours. You can also manually stop sharing your location at any point of the chat.
4. The feature has been launched but is still in the process of being rolled out to all users, on both Android and iOS.
5. To see if you have this feature, open any chat and tap the attach button. If there is an option to select the duration for when you want to share your location, congrats, you have the new feature. In case you don’t have this option, the feature isn’t available to you yet.
6. You can view the location of users sharing their live location with you in a map view with their names of the users, and a tag atop to let you know how updated the data is.
7. Trying to coordinate a lot of people to reach somewhere? In a group chat, you can see all users’ locations. And the users can stop their location sharing any time they choose to.
8. If this sounds like something that will drain your battery, WhatsApp has reassured users that it won’t affect your battery life much. The time when you last shared your location, activity of the person on the other side and whether they are actually looking at the map, and your current battery level is the factors that will conserve your battery.
9. Concerned about security? Don’t be. Just like your WhatsApp messages, the location is end to end encrypted, and the only persons able to see your location are the ones you have opted to share your live location with.
Here’s hoping this is more constructive and less of a reason for lover’s spat.