Questions follow women like a shadow. Those stares from squinting eyes preparing to bombard you with a truckload of questions the moment they set their gaze on you.
Worse is when women go out hunting for a house which is a basic need. And the fact that they think women are answerable to all these questions irks to the core.
A 31-year-old woman and journalist @KarnikaKohli penned down her struggles while house hunting and the tweets strike a chord with every girl who's been there, done that.
#thread— Karnika (@KarnikaKohli) May 10, 2022
few things I was asked by landlords in the last 2 days while house hunting:
The questions are honestly exasperating and exhausting.
Yeah because the moment a woman gets married, she earns a degree in management skills, right?
1) isn't it difficult for you to manage because you are unmarried?— Karnika (@KarnikaKohli) May 10, 2022
A woman who pays her own bills deals with people herself. Period.
2) I want to talk to your father first. (I am 31 btw and have been financially independent for a decade)— Karnika (@KarnikaKohli) May 10, 2022
But the political ideology isn't gonna affect the rent, will it?
3) why do you work for places like scroll and wire?— Karnika (@KarnikaKohli) May 10, 2022
The Baghban-policing will never stop in this country. SMH.
4) why dont you live with your parents? unko bura lagta hoga na?— Karnika (@KarnikaKohli) May 10, 2022
Marrying someone just to impress the landlord? Terrible idea.
5) why dont you want to get married? we will give to couple— Karnika (@KarnikaKohli) May 10, 2022
Nobody wants to know your parenting style, honestly.
6) I would never let my daughter live on her own— Karnika (@KarnikaKohli) May 10, 2022
No husband, no house? K Den. Bye.
Another one.— Karnika (@KarnikaKohli) May 10, 2022
I clearly have no value unless I can get a man to live with me. pic.twitter.com/pp5UIEnsQh
As long as the rent is paid on time and the walls of the house are untouched, no landlord has any business with the personal life of a tenant. How tough is that to understand?