Anxiety isn’t always a panic or an anxiety attack. On some days, it’s the little ways in which it manifests that make you uncomfortable.
As someone who has been dealing with it for almost a decade now, here are a few things in my every day life that I do, because of my anxiety:
1. I find it difficult to talk to new people, because I almost always assume they don’t like me.
2. I feel scared often and my heart starts racing, but I don’t always know why.
3. I mentally prepare myself for at least an hour before stepping out of the house.
4. I cannot be spontaneous because my mind often perceives new things as threats.
5. I can’t make phone calls and book appointments, which is why I use apps for everything.
6. I always try to keep myself busy, but never actually get anything done.
7. My mind automatically jumps to the worst case scenario and I’m gripped by existential thoughts.
8. I need to carry headphones to crowded places because loud noises overwhelm me.
9. I get startled easily and am ‘jumpy’, especially outside my comfort zone.
10. I pay too much attention to small details that in hindsight, might not matter that much.
11. I make so many pros and cons lists that I often end up not making a decision at all.
12. I sit in bed for hours, overthinking everything I said today. Even if the other person doesn’t remember it.
13. I think I am not good enough, for anything or anyone.
14. I count the hours of sleep I’m going to get every night, before I fall asleep.
15. I rehearse social interactions, no matter how big or small they are.
16. I fear or avoid instances where I have to be the centre of attention.
How does your anxiety manifest?
Top picks for you
MenSahana Parvin17 days ago | 4 min read
OpinionHarshita Singhabout 1 month ago | 6 min read
HealthVasudha Sabharwalabout 1 month ago | 5 min read